THE STEP ROCK GOLDEN CAP INITIATIVE
WHAT IS IT?
An initiative to motivate our swimmers and encourage good habits in training (and in competition).
A GOLD branded Step Rock swimming cap is awarded to one step rock swimmer each quarter in recognition of their efforts.
They can wear this cap with pride to train (recommended) or they can frame it and put in on their wall! (not recommended)
WHY DO IT?
The golden cap will provide motivation for all levels of swimmers in Step Rock. The caps will be about rewarding effort not results.
- For LTS swimmers, it recognises general good behaviour (such as great listening skills) as well as progression through the lanes and or efforts at galas
- For squad swimmers, it recognises consistent effort and a positive attitude in training, as well as great results at galas which have been the result of training efforts.
The golden cap will also critically provide coaches with a way of rewarding these positive traits in their swimmers and motivating those who don’t always display them to work towards something positive.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
Each quarter, coaches are asked to nominate swimmers based on an agreed set of criteria. One swimmer will be chosen (through agreement by coaches – Head Coaches will have final say) to receive the award.
Each quarter, the award will be teased on our private Facebook page, with the announcement being made in person at the swimmer’s normal training session. A follow-up photo of the winner will then be posted on Facebook.
EXAMPLE CRITERIA FOR NOMINATIONS: (will differ dependant on age/ level of swimmer)
- Attendance/ punctuality
- Self-motivation (pre pool warm ups, setting goals etc)
- Effort in training
- Positive mindset
- Commitment to skill development
- Behaviour in training and at galas
- Team spirit
COST vs BENEFIT:
Each cap has a standard cost of £4 so the total annual cost to the club will be £16
Which is far outweighed by the BENEFIT: A club full of motivated, happy swimmers!!!